Updates

We haven't been up to much, but here are some updates. Jordan has been very busy with school lately. Between work, school, and being the Executive Secretary in our ward, he doesn't seem to find much free time.

I started my new job a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it. I'm a clinical dietitian at this medical center. There are 3 of us full time dietitians and they keep us really busy. The other two girls are both young and just a few years out of their internship as well, so we get along very well.

Millie graduated from high school! She's the 4th grad from Bonanza High and will start school at BYU in the fall!


So, I couldn't blog without telling work stories, it just seems to be a tradition now.

1.
At my old job at the bariatric center, one of my favorite things to look at when I was skimming through the patient's paperwork, is how they would answer this question:

What is the #1 reason you want to get weight loss surgery?

Most of the answers were expected. Such as, I want to get healthy again, I want to get rid of my diabetes.

Some were quite sad. Such as, I don't want to die fat, I can't ride roller coasters anymore, or I can't pick up my kids and play with them.

And others just make you laugh. Such as this transvestite's answer: I want to be sexy, sexy beautiful!

2.
When a patient comes to the hospital, one of the first things the nurse does is perform an initial assessment on the patient and send consults to the departments they feel need to see the patient asap. For some reason, the nurses like to send the dietitians a consult for almost all the patients, even if there is really no reason. It somewhat drives us crazy because it takes a good hour of our morning to figure out which patients actually need a consult, but at least it gives us some good laughs.

For example, the consults look a little like this:

- Nursing referral for Dietitian consult: Yes
Reason: Male patient with Gestational Diabetes

- Nursing referral for Dietitian consult: Yes
Reason: Patient is wearing yellow nail polish on one hand. Patient is a Male.

- Nursing referral for Dietitian consult: Yes
Reason: Patient with significant weight loss, from 501# to 495# within the last year.

3.
The nurses' initial assessment also includes asking the patient what diet they were following at home. Some of my favorites:

- Baked goods
- Fried chicken, I try to eat some vegetables.
- Diabetic diet. (this is only funny because when I went to look up his labs I found his HgbA1C to be 12.5, bedside glucose tests to be in the 200-300 range, and a 24 hr recall that included 3 liters of soda, doughnuts, and no fruits and vegetables... So, how is that diabetic diet going?!?)


Working at a hospital is always entertaining.

2 comments

Camille Mabey said...

I don't get why the yellow nail polish guy needed a dietician. He maybe needs a psychiatrist instead haha

Justin Farmer said...

Your work stories are always hilarious and never fail to remind me of some stupid incident I've seen similarly in dental school. Funny how people can never seem to respond to what the easy questions are actually asking.

Back to Top